Tuesday, January 6, 2009

A Recipe and a Hint You May Not Know

Since gas prices are supposed to be going back up, I thought I'd post this cheap and easy recipe which has been SUCH a hit around our house in the past month.

Last month Daddy and I were battling a cold, and I decided to make chicken noodle soup to help us fight it off. I put chicken broth, a little cubed chicken, two diced carrots, a stalk of celery, diced and a sliced onion in the pot and boiled them, then when I went to get the noodles we were out. I asked Daddy if he thought I should run out to the store or try something else, and then I thought of rice. I didn't measure how much broth was left in the pot, just poured in a cup of rice and expected it to be chicken and rice soup. Well, the rice soaked up all the broth (sometimes it takes a while, depending on the amount of broth in the pot, and the amount of rice), and instead of chicken rice soup we had rice with bits of chicken, carrots, onion and celery in it, and it is SO good! I've been making it a couple times a week since then, and I've started adding cabbage and whatever other kinds of leftover vegetables I have around. Tonight I re-heated some in the microwave with a bit of pepper jack cheese on top...YUM!

As for the hint....I read this in a magazine, I think, but I don't remember which one. Did you know you can pop regular popcorn in the microwave in a plain brown paper lunch bag/sack if you don't have an air popper? I've used it for making popcorn to snack on, or for popcorn balls. I keep a 1/3 cup measuring cup in the bag with my popcorn, and just scoop it out into the bag, fold down the end of the bag and pop it. (I'm not saying how many minutes, because microwaves are all so different...just stay close and listen for it to slow down its popping.)

No comments:

Post a Comment