Saturday, January 17, 2009

Homemade Pancake Syrup and Pancakes

Since we're trying to get away from eating HFCS I decided to stop buying Pancake syrup from the store...the thought of pouring HFCS on my whole wheat pancakes just seems...wrong.... ; ) I found a pancake syrup recipe in a magazine...don't remember which one now, but I tried it last week when we ran out of the store-bought syrup, and I am NOT going to buy any more store-bought! I liked this much better.

Homemade Pancake Syrup

1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup water
1 Tablespoon butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Gently boil, stirring often, until slightly thickened.
(A little extra hint...if you have some left over, boil a bit more, then add 1/2 teaspoon baking powder and pour over popcorn for super-easy caramel corn.)

Pancake Mix

1 cup all-purpose flour (I use 1/2 cup whole wheat and 1/2 cup unbleached white...I don't think my kids would go for *all* whole wheat yet...)
1 Tablespoon white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1 egg
2 Tablespoon oil

Mix together and fry with lots of butter (if you're like me and like the edges very crispy) ; )


I've always bought the boxed pancake mixes, until I decided to try this one and fell in love with it! It's so easy, and I *really* like the whole wheat flour in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment