Saturday, December 20, 2008

Chocolate Cake and Chocolate Frosting Recipe

This is the recipe for the chocolate cake I made yesterday (of which I forgot to take pictures). It was really good...the frosting is SUPER sweet, so if you don't like super sweet you might try a store-bought icing.

My DH and I decided it's a keeper, though, for *just-in-case* I ever needed to make a cake and didn't have a box mix on hand. Really, the cake part was much better than a box mix...very moist.

One last word about the recipe. The one I copied it from said to bake 15 minutes. I have no idea why it says that, but obviously 15 minutes won't be enough. Just bake it as long as you normally would a cake, and test it with a knife or poke it and see if it springs back.

Chocolate Cake (From Scratch!)

2 sticks margarine
1 c. water

4T. cocoa
2 c. plain flour
1/2 t. salt
2 c. sugar
1 t. baking soda

2 eggs, well-beaten
1/2 c. buttermilk

Boil margarine and water, remove from heat and add to dry ingredients, mix well and add eggs and buttermilk. Pour into prepared (greased and floured) pan and bake at 325* until done.

Chocolate Frosting

1 stick margarine
6 T. milk

4 T. cocoa
1 box powdered sugar
1 t. vanilla

Boil margarine and milk, add to dry ingredients, mix well, and add vanilla, spread on cake as soon as cake has finished cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment