Monday, February 9, 2009

Roasted Peanuts

I found some raw peanuts last week at the grocery store. They're a small, local store, and they carry quite a bit of local produce (GREAT in winter when the farmer's market isn't going).

Anyway, they had raw peanuts for .50 lb, and I bought a pound because we've been tossing around the idea of growing some peanuts this summer. I was thinking of them as seed, but when I got them home I realized it's more than we will plant. So I decided to try roasting some.

I haven't tried it yet...it was kinda difficult to find information online about roasting them *out of the shell* which is what I wanted to do, but I finally found a "roast for 30 minutes at 350*" mention, so I'm going to try that.

I thought, though, if I do manage to do it, it will be cheaper to buy all the peanuts they had left at .50 lb. (I hope they still have some!) than to buy the already-roasted ones.

The Granola Bar recipe I've been using calls for 1 cup of crushed peanuts...that will get expensive if I have to buy them for $5 a can! (So far I haven't had to buy any...DH had a couple cans sitting around; he likes to buy them to snack on, then forgets they're here. lol) Hopefully this way will be cheaper. ; )

(Oh, yeah, as a side note...I've been using chopped, dried apricots in the Granola Bars. Talk about GOOD! They're GREAT!)

No comments:

Post a Comment